Your business works only because you have customers, and you always want your employees to serve your customers effectively. For that to happen, your staff need to be happy in their job, and they need certain things from you to enable them to be highly productive.
To be an effective business manager and leader you need to know what your employees want from you. Working together is a two-way street and it helps it you know what your employees really want.
Jumping to conclusions is never safe. To be a better manager, remember these basic truths about everyone who works for you:
- “I want to feel important.” No one wants to feel like a number, interchangeable, or easy to forget. Get to know your employees as people; find out what makes each one unique and show them you’re paying attention to their individuality.
- “I need encouragement.” Even the best employees continue to flourish with positive feedback. Let them know what they’re doing right and how they can keep performing at a high level. They’ll notice and keep up their efforts.
- “I want to believe in you.” Employees want to know they can trust you—your knowledge, your expertise, and your word. Show your commitment to helping them succeed and grow by listening, answering questions honestly, and keeping your promises.
- “I want to succeed.” Most employees want to do a good job, even if they don’t want to advance to upper management. Explain your expectations clearly and give them the training and support they need, so they know you’re invested in helping them succeed.
- “I want to be motivated.” Yes, motivation springs from inside, but employees want to be told why they should complete a project or improve quality in terms that make sense to them. Emphasize the job’s value to the organization as well as the benefits the employee will enjoy—personal satisfaction as well as more tangible rewards—to unleash their enthusiasm and commitment.
Fostering a positive work culture will not only benefit the people who are working with you, it will definitely help boost your profits as your whole team becomes more productive.
If you need any help with ideas to develop your business further, just click on the red button at the top of our website and arrange for a FREE 20 minute Business Strategy Session.
Copyright © 2018 Straight Talk Accounting & Tax